When taking care of your car, you need the right tools for the job. Tool sets are designed to put everything you need at your fingertips, but you have to get the right set to make sure that you’re ready for anything.
Today we’re going to be looking at the best mechanic tool sets. Both DIY enthusiasts and professionals alike will appreciate the quality and reliability of the tools offered with these sets. We’ll be looking at the various elements that make them a perfect fit for your garage. Let’s see what they can do for you.
3 Best Mechanic Tool Sets – Comparison
|DEWALT DWMT81534 205Pc|
|Craftsman 230-Piece Mechanics|
|DEWALT DWMT72165 204 Piece|
10 Best Mechanic Tool Sets – Review
1. Stanley STMT71654 201-Piece
If you’ve ever bought tools before, then you know that part of the buying process is comparing brands. Because a lot of the features will be similar, many mechanics and professionals will stick to a particular company because they know what to expect as far as quality and reliability.
Stanley is one of the more respected brands out there, so already you know that you’re getting something great for the money. In this case, we have a massive mechanic toolset that gives you over 200 pieces. You get a ton of sockets and wrenches to ensure that you shouldn’t run into a problem that you can’t handle.
One of the best things about this set is that they are made of steel and coated with chrome. The coating creates an anti-corrosion layer that will keep these tools in pristine condition for years to come. The steel will also help make sure that you can use them over and over again without wearing them down.
When talking about tools, this set has it all. You get three sizes of ratchet, each one with a one-touch reverse option and a max drive design. Max drive means that you get more torque with each turn, and it also reduces the overall wear and tear by creating a stronger bond between ratchet and socket.
In addition, you get eight combination wrenches, as well as a customizable screwdriver with a variety of bits you can use. Overall, with all 201 pieces, you should be able to handle any mechanical issue without a problem. This kind of versatility is both empowering and ensures complete versatility while working.
Finally, this set comes in a rugged plastic case so that you can bring it wherever you need to go and keep everything together and protected from the elements.
- High-quality steel construction
- Massive 201-piece set for all your needs
- Three round heads provided (.25, .35, .5 inch)
- Quick release ratchets for convenience
- Eight combo wrenches included
- Chrome finish for corrosion protection
- Customizable screwdriver with bits
- Rugged plastic carrying case
- SAE-rated tools
- Max-drive design offers more torque
- In rare cases, the smallest ratchet may seize up
- On rare occasions, the reverse mechanism may not work
2. STANLEY STMT73795 Mixed Tool Set
For the most part, mechanic sets have just a few different tools to get the job done. However, if you want a more complete toolset, then you will want something like this from Stanley. Rather than focusing on sockets and Allen wrenches, you get a versatile and varied mix of different components.
What makes this set so reliable is that each piece is made of chrome vanadium. They are also coated to help prevent rust and corrosion, so this set should last you for years without any issues. As with other Stanley products, you can be sure that these tools are going to be resilient and reliable.
As far as variety goes, here are some of the tools you can expect from this set. First, there are the standard ratchets and combination wrenches. In addition, you get several flathead screwdrivers, as well as a combination screwdriver for added versatility. The set also comes with a box cutter, a tape measure, and adjustable wrench, and needle nose pliers.
To keep everything together, this set has a double-hinged carrying case. Each tool has its own spot inside, and they are locked in place to keep everything neat and tidy. The case itself is rugged plastic so that you can keep it in your garage or bring it to the job site.
Overall, whether you’re a mechanic, a DIYer, or any other professional, this tool set is one of the most versatile options you can find. While it may not be ideal for some specific jobs, it’s a perfect way to be prepared for almost anything.
- Extra large 210-piece set
- Chrome vanadium construction
- Anti-corrosion material
- Blow molded case for protection
- Versatile tool set
- Allen and combo wrenches
- Screwdrivers, tape measure, adjustable wrench
- Three ratchets with reverse capability
- Pliers and box cutter
- In rare cases, the plastic molding may be uneven
- Case construction is not as high quality as other sets
3. DEWALT DWMT81534 205Pc Mechanics Tool
We’ve already seen the quality that you can expect from Stanley tools, but DeWalt is another high-end company that produces some of the best tools in the industry. When it comes to mechanical components, DeWalt offers some excellent proprietary features that keep their tools working longer.
One of the first things we like about this set is the construction of the ratchets. One of the crucial elements of any ratchet is how many teeth it has. More teeth means that you can work more efficiently because you can get more torque out of every turn. In this case, the ratchets have 72 teeth, which offers a five-degree turning radius.
The benefit of this setup is that you can work in much tighter spaces without any issues. For mechanical tools, this is crucial because you may have to tighten bolts without a lot of leverage. Having the ability to turn with just five degrees of swing is much better than the competition.
The other thing that sets these tools apart is the fact that the sockets have DeWalt’s Direct Torque design. This ensures that there is more contact between the ratchet and the socket, which also increases the amount of torque you get when turning. Coupled with the extra teeth, you can work much faster and get more power with every crank.
Beyond the high-quality ratchets and sockets, this set also has an incredible molded carrying case with a handle. Overall, you can do a lot with these tools, and the set ensures that you can bring it anywhere.
- Chrome polished steel
- Massive 205-piece set
- Three ratchet sizes for convenience
- Anti-slip handle on the screwdriver
- Ratchets have 72 teeth for tighter turns
- Five-degree swing
- 10 combination wrenches provided
- An assortment of sockets and
- Allen wrenches
- Molded plastic carrying case
- Direct Torque technology for better performance
- Case may not hold all tools tightly
4. Craftsman 230-Piece Mechanics Tool Set
Although the sets we’ve been looking at are technically professional-grade, you don’t need that kind of performance if you’re a DIYer. People who just want to take care of their own cars from time to time will appreciate the simplicity and reliability of this set from Craftsman.
As we mentioned, the brand name can make a difference in the performance of tools, and Craftsman is well known for being more of a consumer brand. That being said, this set is not as complete as others, but it has more than enough sockets and wrenches to get you through most home repairs.
When it comes to nuts and bolts, you have an extensive collection of 116 sockets and three quick-release ratchets. The ratchets all have a one-touch reverse option, and they are all designed to have substantial grip. They don’t have as many teeth as other models, but they are more than satisfactory in most conditions.
Other elements included in this set are combination wrenches, Allen wrenches, and a magnetic handle for a variety of bits. All of the tools are made of alloy steel to ensure that they are dependable and reliable. They also come with a silver finish to prevent rust and corrosion. Overall, these tools will stay in excellent condition for years to come.
- Durable alloy steel construction
- Silver finish provides anti-corrosion protection
- Three quick-release ratchets for convenience
- Massive 230-piece set
- Combination and Allen wrenches provided
- Rugged plastic case with handle
- 116 sockets, metric and imperial measurements
- Universal joints and extension parts included
- Pieces do not lock in place in the case
- Missing some essential socket sizes
5. DEWALT DWMT72165 204 Piece Tool Set
If you’re really interested in getting one of the top quality mechanic sets, then DeWalt is one of the better options you can choose. As we’ve already seen, this brand is well known for making some of the best tools on the market.
First of all, the construction is remarkable with this set. Each piece is made of polished chrome steel, which means that they are built to last and corrosion resistant. In fact, the steel is more heavy duty than most other tools, so you will notice a weight difference compared to them.
Secondly, the torque and performance offered by the ratchets are incredible. Each one comes with 72 teeth, which allows for tighter turning (as little as five degrees) and more control while working. If you have room to spare, you will be able to get tight or loose in less time, making this one of the most efficient sets you can find.
Finally, the sockets provided are easy to use. There is a good mix of deep and shallow versions to ensure that you can work on any problem you experience. We also like that the sizes are engraved on the side so that you don’t have to worry about them rubbing off over time.
In addition to the sockets, you get multiple extenders and universal joints, making the ratchets even more versatile and reliable. Combination and Allen wrenches round out the rest of this set. We would like it better if there were a magnetic screwdriver, but you can use the ratchets for that kind of work if you like.
- Chrome polished steel
- Laser engraved markings won’t fade
- Knurled rings ensure no slipping
- 72-tooth ratchet system
- Five-degree swing for tighter turns
- Tall and short sockets for easier operation
- Nine extension pieces, three universal joints
- 12 combination wrenches included
- Molded plastic case for organization
- In some cases, the tools may slip out of the case
- Ratchets are heavier than other models
6. Crescent CTK170MPN Mechanics Tool Set
Although Crescent is not as well known as brands like DeWalt or Stanley, it provides sufficient quality and reliability. Much like the set from Craftsman above, this one is not designed for professionals, but instead, it’s best used for casual DIYers who want to be able to take care of their own cars.
The construction of these tools is about the same as anything else. They are built of chrome vanadium steel, ensuring that they will last a long time. The chrome polish also prevents rusting and corrosion, which will keep these tools in quality condition for years.
What we like most about this set is that it’s more comprehensive than other mechanic tool sets. In addition to the standard ratchets, sockets, and wrenches, you get a pair of needle nose pliers, as well as two adjustable wrenches. These extra tools help make sure that you get the most out of this set and that you can handle almost any problem you encounter in the garage.
The case containing these tools is decent, although the part that holds all of the sockets is a little off. Either the sockets will come out, or they can be hard to remove because they’re so close together. Nonetheless, it’s not a huge deal breaker.
- Comprehensive 170-piece set
- Made of chrome vanadium steel
- Rust and corrosion resistant
- Molded case holds them in place
- Locking case for security
- 12 combination wrenches provided
- Three ratchets included
- Adjustable wrenches and Allen wrenches
- Needle nose pliers
- Variety of custom screwdrivers
- Longer handles for more torque
- Case may not hold sockets in place
7. DEKOPRO 168 Piece Socket Tool
With this next set, pretty much any tool you could ever want is included. Although it doesn’t have as many pieces as other kits on this list, you get so much more variety. Thus, this is another set that’s perfect for DIYers instead of professionals. Rather than giving you every size and shape you need, it offers solutions to a broader range of household problems.
The construction of these tools is pretty standard. They have chrome polishing to ensure that they don’t rust or corrode over time. We like that they also come with soft grip handles to give more control and precision while working. The handles can feel a little cheap, but they are decent and will last a while.
When we talk about the versatility of this set, you will be impressed by how many tools are included. You get everything from ratchets to a hammer to grip clips to a hacksaw. No matter what kind of job you’re trying to do, you can probably find the right tool in this kit. Everything is molded in place, and they will stay there until you need them. The case is excellent quality, and the package will last a long time.
- Mechanic and mixed tool set
- Polished chrome finish
- Anti-rust and corrosion coating
- Ideal for handymen and DIY mechanics
- Comes with a full set of tools
- Hacksaw, grip clips, pliers, hammer, etc. included
- Soft grip handles for comfort and protection
- Molded case holds everything in place
- 72-tooth ratchets offer more precision and torque
- 168 pieces for better versatility
- In rare cases, the plastic grips may start to come off
- Sockets are not as deep as other models
8. Yaheetech 799pcs Sturdy Aluminium Tool Set
This next toolset is all about quantity. While they are not exactly low quality, Yaheetech is not a brand that most people would recognize. This company doesn’t have the same reliability as something like Craftsman or Stanley, but still, you get a ton of pieces with this kit.
The set is so massive that you get an aluminum carrying case with its own hand truck attached. It’s like a piece of luggage that you bring along, complete with wheels to make it easier for you. Inside, four molded plastic holders keep all of the tools organized.
Because there are so many pieces, you will never encounter a job for which you’re unprepared. It comes with all of the standard stuff, but you also get things like wire cutters, a glue gun, and a bubble level. You can handle any DIY project with ease as long as you have this set handy.
As with other off-brand toolkits, we wouldn’t recommend this for professionals, but any DIY enthusiast will love the versatility that it offers. Most of the tools are high quality, but some of them are a little flimsy, so be aware of that.
- Massive 799-piece set
- Durable chrome polished steel
- Aluminum carrying case with wheels
- Removable plastic holders inside
- Ratchets, wrenches, pliers, hammer, screwdrivers
- Complete tool set for all jobs
- Soft grip handles for better control
- Molded plastic holds tools in place
- Not all tools are the same quality
- Getting tools can take a while if they are on the bottom
9. WORKPRO 229-Piece Mechanics Tool Kit
For the most part, mechanic tool sets come with a rugged and dependable plastic case to hold everything. While this is pretty much standard, it does mean that you don’t get the best organization. Too often, the plastic is not molded correctly, so some tools will fall out despite your best efforts.
While WorkPro is not quite at the same level as brands like DeWalt, one of the best reasons to get this kit is that it comes with a metal toolbox instead. Regardless of how much you use these tools, the box is almost worth buying it because it’s just that good.
As far as the tools go, there is some extra variety with this kit. You get ratchets and sockets, as well as Allen and combination wrenches. On top of those, you get a pair of needle nose pliers, adjustable wrenches, and even a box cutter. There are also several varieties of screwdriver should you need them, from tiny to massive.
- Chrome polished steel
- Anti-corrosion and rust
- Rugged metal toolbox for organization
- Two drawers for easier access
- Plastic handles on the tools for control
- Extra large 229-piece set
- Ratchets, sockets, wrenches
- Screwdrivers, pliers, saw, box cutter
- All measurements are metric
- Not all tools are the same quality
10. Craftsman 413 pc. Mechanics Tool Set
Our final mechanic toolset is another option from Craftsman. However, at this size, you would expect that it would come with some sort of toolbox or set, but it doesn’t. Instead, you get 413 loose tools and pieces, so don’t get this set unless you have a place to put them.
That being said, the quality of these parts is much higher than the other Craftsman kit we saw above. First, you get a wider range of socket sizes and depths, making it much more useful for mechanics and handymen alike. Second, the polishing and construction are much better, and these tools will last a lot longer.
Beyond the standard sockets, combination wrenches, and ratchets, you also get some pliers, adjustable wrenches, and screwdrivers. This set is much more comprehensive and reliable, but again, there is no carrying case. Plan for that if you are going to get this set.
- Chrome polished steel construction
- Full set of socket sizes and depths
- Wide assortment of wrenches and screwdrivers
- Three ratchets with reverse capability
- Pliers and other tools included
- Massive 413-piece set
- Measurements are in standard and metric units
- No case or box to contain them
When it comes to finding the right mechanic set, you want quality, reliability, and versatility. We believe that two sets provide those features, which are the Stanley Mixed Tool Set and the DeWalt 205-Piece Set.
Both of these versions are perfect for professionals and amateurs alike. We prefer the construction and efficiency of the DeWalt set, but we also recognize that Stanley tools are really well built and should last a long time. No matter what kind of job you’re doing, these sets are going to offer the best results.