They say that there is no worse form of peer pressure for an adult than that of the neighbor’s luscious, gorgeous lawn. We all aspire to be better when it comes to taking care of our lawns, and when you compare your lawn to that of your neighbor’s, you might feel as though you are falling behind. A good lawn aerator can help you catch up on the competition.
When you look out your own front window, what do you see? A verdant oasis? Or a drab, poorly growing section of weeds? If your answer is closer to the latter, it might be time to start reevaluating the way you take care of your lawn. Your lawn is the gateway to your home. You can enhance your curb appeal and also create additional space to relax and enjoy the outdoors by maintaining a gorgeous lawn.
However, if your grass is growing poorly, you might not be able to truly appreciate the great outdoors. Many times, the problem is not in the grass itself, but in the soil that it relies on for nutrients and moisture. Soil that is too compacted won’t provide your grass with oxygen, water, or essential nutrients – and as a result, your grass simply won’t grow. Aeration helps loosen the soil to allow air to circulate, improving the ability of your grass to grow and to thrive.
Table of Contents
- Best Lawn Aerators – Comparison
- Best Lawn Aerators to Improve the Health of Your Lawn
- 1. Yard Butler M-7C Lawn Spike Aerator
- 2. Strongway Tow-Behind Plug Aerator
- 3. Agri-Fab 45-0299 48-Inch Tow Plug Aerator
- 4. Abcosport Lawn Aerator Spike Shoes
- 5. Brinly PA-40BH Tow-Behind Plug Aerator
- 6. Precision Products PA42GY 42-Inch Plug Aerator
- 7. Pride Roots Lawn Aerator Shoes
- 8. Sun Joe AJ801E 12 Amp 12.6″ Electric Scarifier
- 9. Garden Weasel 91818 Garden Aerator
- 10. Greenworks 14-Inch 10 Amp Corded Dethatcher 27022
- What is the Best Lawn Aerator to Improve the Growth of Your Lawn?
Best Lawn Aerators – Comparison
|Yard Butler M-7C|
|Agri-Fab 45-0299 48-Inch|
Best Lawn Aerators to Improve the Health of Your Lawn
Ready to reconsider the way you take care of your lawn? Consider purchasing an aerator that will help you make the most of your outdoor space.
1. Yard Butler M-7C Lawn Spike Aerator
A spike aerator is one of the simplest tools you can use to aerate your lawn. This piece of equipment is operated manually, so you don’t have to worry about electricity, fuel, or any other nuisances when you want to get started aerating your lawn. This easy-to-use tool makes quick work of loosening the soil so that your grass can receive the oxygen, nutrients, and hydration it needs to stimulate growth.
This aerator is equipped with four spikes, each three inches long, that dig down into the soil to loosen dense, compacted soil. The handle of this tool is encased with vinyl grips, so blisters aren’t as likely to form as they would be if you were just gripping the bare handle. You can insert more pressure by pressing your foot into the foot hole. This is wide enough even for large feet and is also rust-resistant.
This tool is ideal for people with small- to medium-sized yards, as well as for those that don’t have large chunks of property to aerate. If you have rocky, root-bound soil, this aerator can do the trick. Watering your lawn can prevent any damage to your aerator, but even if you do accidentally damage the tool, Yard Butler offers a lifetime warranty to cover most issues.
- Comfortable to hold and easy to use for people of all sizes
- Durable construction with rust-resistant technology
- Works well even in heavy, compacted clay soils
- A great option for small lawns
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- Not ideal for larger lawns
- Spikes can snap or bend in extremely rocky soil
2. Strongway Tow-Behind Plug Aerator
The Strongway Tow-Behind Plug Aerator is a more advanced tool to help you aerate your lawn – and it’s definitely not for the faint of heart! That being said, this unit really helps to get the job done, and if you have the ability to tow this aerator behind a small tractor or ATV, you will get endless uses out of this machine.
This aerator has thirty-two separate plug spikes, each reaching a maximum depth of two and a half inches. The unit, which is built out of high-quality and durable steel, can hold up to 140 lbs, the pressure of which is distributed back into your soil as the holes are formed.
Despite the weight of this machine, it rolls along in an astonishingly smooth manner. It has ten-inch pneumatic tires and operates using a pin-style hitch, which makes it easy to hook up to any motorized vehicle. The body of the aerator has a powder coat finish, providing a nice shine and a durable resin.
- Distributes weight evenly as it aerates your lawn
- Ideal for large lawns with substantial aeration needs
- Can be used on any type of soil without worrying about breakage
- Requires additional machinery for towing
- At 48 inches wide, it may not fit into smaller spaces
3. Agri-Fab 45-0299 48-Inch Tow Plug Aerator
Agri-Fab is a well-known manufacturer of less expensive aeration products, but there’s nothing cheap about this tow plug aerator. This device is made in the United States with minimal imported materials and comes with a three-year limited consumer warranty. It forms a four-foot-wide path as it aerates, allowing you to cover a wide swath of lawn in just a limited amount of time.
This lawn aerator is equipped with 32 separate plug knives and weighs only 93 lbs. Because it is a lighter machine, it is easier to fit into smaller, tighter areas. It also has flat-free tires. It is easy to maneuver and won’t damage your lawn as it aerates the soil. With a cantilever transport handle, you can easily raise and lower the device from whatever you are towing it with.
This product is also built to last. It can hold up to 140 lbs and provides improved soil penetration. The knives are durable as they are heat-treated so that they hold up to the test of time. There are six spools of aerator knives, making this device one of the most powerful aerators you can find.
- Aeration knives are heat-treated to improve their longevity
- Cantilever transport handle makes it easy to tow and maneuver
- Wide pneumatic tires are practically puncture-resistant
- Not ideal for smaller lawns with tight corners
- Limited warranty excludes some damages
4. Abcosport Lawn Aerator Spike Shoes
Want to get your steps in and loosen up the soil in your lawn at the same time? If so, these lawn aerator spike shoes by Abcosport might be a good choice for you. The technology here is simple – all you do is strap on a pair of your own shoes and start walking across your lawn.
You wear your own shoes with spiked shoes, which are essentially spiky platforms that strap to your feet. Each of these platforms is equipped with thirteen 48 millimeter spikes. The spikes are secured to the base of the shoe, and then there are thee straps across the top of the shoe with metal buckles so that you don’t have to worry about the shoes sliding around.
The platform component of this shoe is made out of anti-corrosive materials and is rumored to last for quite a few years. These shoes are popular because they are inexpensive and don’t require you to purchase any expensive equipment. You can wear them while you are weeding the garden or mowing the lawn – multitasking at its finest.
Best yet, these shoes are easy to assemble. You get a quick workout, and aerating your lawn requires minimal effort- a nice feature, especially when compared to the effort involved in aerating with a tow-behind or corded aerator. Keep in mind, though, that these shoes will only be truly effective when you are aerating a smaller lawn.
- Easy to assemble with no extra parts or tools required
- Allow you to get some exercise while aerating your lawn
- One-size-fits-all product
- These shoes can easily get clogged with leaves, debris, and soil
- Do not come with instructions or a warranty
5. Brinly PA-40BH Tow-Behind Plug Aerator
Another tow-behind plug aerator, the Brinly model is designed to relieve the tightest, most compacted soil in your lawn or garden. This aerator has a whopping 24 heat-treated spoons, all of which can penetrate through the soil with exceptional precision and accuracy. Plugs can be extracted up to 3 inches deep, allowing water and fertilizer (along with precious oxygen!) to reach the roots of your grass.
This aerator is unique in that the plugs are narrow. In addition, it is made entirely out of steel, adding lasting durability and value for the price. The weight tray is fully-enclosed and can hold around 150 pounds.
This tow-behind aerator has a single transport lever, which allows you to move it easily from the driveway to the lawn. Weighing less than seventy pounds, this aerator is a lightweight tow-behind aerator that works well on small and large lawns alike.
- Durable weight tray can hold up to 150 lbs
- Single transport lever makes it easy to reposition, store, and move
- Narrow plug decision adds to the precision and accuracy of the aeration
- Comes with a full two-year warranty
- Comes with a universal hitch
- Requires a tractor or ATV to operate
- Takes some time to assemble
6. Precision Products PA42GY 42-Inch Plug Aerator
This tow-behind aerator is a good choice for gardeners or homeowners who have large, difficult-to-maintain lawns. This tool can easily be towed behind a riding mower or lawn tractor. With a heavy-duty frame made out of tough 11-gauge steel, this product is truly built to last. It resists warping and corrosion and has a steel-reinforced towing bar.
The steel tray on this aerator holds an additional 150 pounds of weight – this makes it easier to penetrate the most densely compacted soils. You can maneuver the aerator easily over uneven or muddy terrain because the ten-inch pneumatic wheels keep the weight stable and balanced.
This aerator has 32 steel plugging spoons, which press down into the soil about two and a half inches deep. You can easily remove large plugs of grass to limit compaction or overthatching. This aerator also has a single-lever action that can be disengaged from your position while driving, and the height of the aerator is also easy to adjust depending on the condition of your lawn.
While this aerator does require some time to assemble, the extra effort needed is well worth it. This aerator is one of the best for using in clay soils, as well as in high traffic areas or those that suffered from drought or other damage.
- The manufacturer offers a 90-day limited warranty
- Made out of heavy-gauge steel
- Operates smoothly over uneven ground, despite its weight and size
- Works best in clay soil
- Compatible with most tractors and hitches
- Needs more weight in order to work effectively
- Requires some assembly with additional tools that are not supplied by the manufacturer
- Spoons are extremely thick, which can result in shallower penetration
7. Pride Roots Lawn Aerator Shoes
Another excellent pair of lawn aerator shoes is this pair, made by the manufacturer Pride Roots. If you’ve always assumed that aeration shoes are a knock-off alternative to tow-behind aerators, think again – these shoes offer professional-grade aeration for small lawns and gardens. Plus, you’ll get a workout in while you aerate your lawn!
These shoes take the pressure off your upper body and arms, using the full force of your bodyweight to manually aerate the soil. The shoes come with 2.2-inch long spikes, which each penetrate deep into your soil so that fertilizer, water, nutrients, and oxygen can reach the thirsty roots of your grass.
These shoes arrive at your door preassembled so that you don’t have to worry about any confusing assembling in your home. You can head out the door to aerate as soon as the product arrives. The company offers a 30-day money back guarantee and a limited 12-month warranty. These lightweight shoes are a great option for gardeners who want to exert minimal effort while they aerate their lawns, and are also environmentally friendly.
- Eco-friendly alternative to tow-behind aerators that require fossil fuels to use
- Offers professional-grade aeration at a fraction of the price of commercial landscaping services
- 12-month warranty and 30-day money back guarantee to allow you to test the product with confidence
- Sturdy straps keep your feet from sliding and prevent blisters from forming on your feet
- Requires manual effort to operate
- Not ideal for all sizes and dimensions of lawns
- Shoes do not fit extremely large feet
8. Sun Joe AJ801E 12 Amp 12.6″ Electric Scarifier
The Sun Joe is a unique electric aerator, equipped with a 12 amp motor that can get just about any job done. This product has a scraper and scarifier that allows you to reseed as you aerate, making quick work of all of your lawn chores at once. This product is easy to assemble and comes with easy-to-follow instructions. It also comes with a collection bag, so that you can save the clippings to compost, feed to your chickens, or dispose of in a location besides on your lawn.
This feature is a nice one that is often overlooked by other aerator manufacturers. When you dethatch or aerate your lawn, you don’t want to leave the remnants behind you as you go. Not only is this unattractive to look at, but it can also contribute to other issues like fungal growth and suffocation of existing grassroots.
Picking up the pieces you leave behind while aerating is vital, and this product takes care of it for you as it collects everything in a convenient collection bag that is attached to the unit. While the bag is not large enough to handle massive areas that you have already aerated, it is easy to empty so that you can stop and empty it between passes.
- Comes with a collectoin bag so the grass doesn’t rot on your lawn
- Dethatcher ands carifier are easy to use and extremely quick to operate and swap out
- Safety swtich makes it safer to use around small children
- Powerful engine lasts for years without problems
- SunJoe offers exceptional customer support and product guarantees
- Catchment bag is quite small and must be emptied frequently
- If you have to stop often while dethatching, the safety switch can be an annoyance
- Some assembly required
- Extra tools required to switch between the dethatcher and the scarifier
9. Garden Weasel 91818 Garden Aerator
The Garden Weasel 91818 Garden Aerator is another manual aerator that is suitable for use on any lawn or garden, no matter the size. This is perhaps one of the most attractive lawn aerators you can find, featuring a sleek and vibrant red color and an elegant design. This aerator works be creating small air holes in the soil through penetration and twisting motions. It allows water and nutrients to reach your plants’ roots more easily.
This aerator is built with longlasting, durable construction and is made out of carbon steel. If you happen to leave it out in the rain, snow, or other elements, don’t fret – it is weather resistant and also rust and corrosion-resistant. If that wasn’t enough, this product is also easy to use. Weighing less than three pounds, all you need to do is grip the handle, place your foot in the foot bar, and press down as hard as you can to puncture the hard soil.
This tool is about forty inches long, which is longer than many manual aerators you will find. Why is this important? If you are tall, you want to use the longest aerator possible so that you don’t have to hunch over to work your lawn, which can cause some serious back and shoulder pain. This product is incredibly durable and comes with a lifetime warranty in case it doesn’t hold up to the test of time.
- Comes with a lifetime warranty that is backed by exceptional customer service
- Long length makes it easy to use without injuring yourself
- Environmentally friendly as you don’t need to use any fuels to operate it
- Comes in an attractive red design
- Rust- and corrosion-resistant
- Not ideal for people with larger feet, or for shorter individuals
- Minimal grips on the handle to protect your hands from blisters
- Requires a lot of manual effort to operate
10. Greenworks 14-Inch 10 Amp Corded Dethatcher 27022
Our final favorite option in the list of the best lawn aerators is this corded dethatcher made by Greenworks. An environmentally friendly option, this product produces a fourteen-inch dethatching path that offers the perfect compromise between basic aerating shoes and large tow-behind aerators.
This product has a powerful 10 amp motor and stainless steel tines. These tines are resistant to rust and corrosion and move along quickly. You can adjust the tine depth to three different positions, helping you make the most of any situation you are working in. the product is incredibly compact, working in narrow swaths or broader rotations to help you aerate every potential section of your lawn. It even has foldable handles to allow you to store it in a more compact area.
Best yet, this product is fully electric, producing no carbon emissions and requiring no gas or other fuels to operate. It comes with a full set of replacement tines and is a great choice for somebody seeking a balance between the most basic and the most complex lawn aerators.
- Serves as an environmentally friendly option to fuel-reliant aeration machines
- Produces a wide 14” path to make quick work of your aeration chores
- Tines can be adjusted to three different depths and come with a full set of replacements
- Comes with a four-year tool warranty
- Requires a heavy-gauge extension cord to use
- Not a self-propelled device
- Does not come with a bag
What is the Best Lawn Aerator to Improve the Growth of Your Lawn?
When you are trying to find the best lawn aerator, consider your particular preferences. There is no single best lawn aerator for everybody, because the best aerator for you will depend on how much fuel (if any) you want to use, how much area you need to cover, and how much effort you want to put into aerating your lawn.
Consider our top picks as you embark on your next lawn care shopping trip. Without a doubt, you will want to choose one of these top lawn aerators so that your lawn can grow luscious and green for years to come. Oh, and it will make your neighbors sick with envy!