Every smart woodworker knows to get the perfect fit and finish on a project you need good hand tools. Power tools make light work of many of the shaping and fitting tasks involved in high-quality cabinetry and other woodworking, and what makes them special is the hand-finished look. A good hand planer (powered or unpowered) is a woodworker’s best friend, and there are many options on the market today. Here are our reviews and guide to help you choose the one that’s right for you.
5 Best Electric Hand Planers – Comparison
|Makita 1806B 10.9 Amp|
|DEWALT DW680K 7 Amp|
|Bosch PL1632 6.5 Amp|
5 Best Electric Hand Planers – Review
1. Makita 1806B 10.9 Amp 6-3/4-Inch Planer
With their outstanding reputation among contractors and craftsmen, Makita is a standout performer in the power tool world. Their 1806B 10.9 Amp 6 ¾-inch powered planer is everything we’ve come to expect from Makita and then some.
The powerful 10.9-amp motor provides 15,000 RPM, allowing you to shape even the toughest hardwood easily in a single pass to suit your project needs. Additionally, the on-switch can be locked in the on position for extended shaping of multiple pieces, and the oversized sole plate helps you maintain rock solid stability.
Best of all, the sturdy ergonomic grips and precision machined base make it easy to shave off just the right amount of wood from your piece every time. When you need precision, power, and stable comfort, get a Makita 1806B.
- The precision machined aluminum base for exacting cuts
- Comfort grip handles help you keep the planer stable under all circumstances
- Powerful 10.9-amp motor allows you to make precise, consistent cuts through tough hardwood materials
- Big motor means big weight, and this unit is fairly heavy
- Depth and width are not adjustable
- Requires AC power to function
2. DEWALT DW680K 7 Amp 3-1/4-Inch Planer
Another household name among house framers and carpenters, DEWALT makes tough tools to be used daily without malfunction or defect. The DW680K is a mid-tier model intended for use in shaping door frames to a perfect fit or putting the finishing touches on a wood surface.
The 7-amp motor provides plenty of power for smooth, precise cutting, and the planer cutting depth is adjustable up to 3/32 of an inch. Adjustable planers are highly sought after since you can make fewer passes to get just the size you need for door and window frame sections.
Best of all, the DW680K accepts both standard and reversible carbide blades, allowing you to keep it operating at maximum efficiency with just a quick blade swap every so many cut s. This is an exceptional value for both the home hobbyist and the professional craftsman, and it has all the options and high durability parts to provide you with years of faithful service.
- Lightweight design
- Adjustable cutting depth to 2.5-mm max
- 7-amp motor provides the power you need for working with all kinds of wood
- Lighter weight means more work for you keeping it down and steady during cutting
- Despite the pre-calibrated adjustment knob, planer still needs to be adjusted a bit after blade swaps
- Belt drive mechanism means long-term maintenance concerns
3. Bosch PL1632 6.5 Amp Planer, 3-1/4″
Craftsmen looking for the ideal door work planer need to look no farther than the Bosch PL1632 6.5-amp 3 ¼-inch Planer. Not only is it a durable and reliable woodworking tool, but it has all the extras you need to ensure precise cuts that allow for fast and easy shaping of both soft and hardwood materials.
Chief among its many features is the spring-loaded stand and dual-mount guide fence. No matter how steady and practiced the hand, even the most experienced woodworker eventually gets fatigued from extended work with a planer. Bosch has integrated the spring-loaded stand and dual-mounted guide fence to ensure that cuts stay precise and consistent even during extended use, making the PL1632 by far one of the most comfortable planers on the market.
More importantly, the cutting depth is fully adjustable, and both the front and rear grip are ergonomically designed with vibration dampening rubber covers to make using this planer easier on your hands and arms. Moreover, with a 6.5-amp motor producing 16,500 RPMs, this electric planer has all the power you need. The Bosch PL1632 should definitely be the first choice for craftsmen interested in maintaining both comfort and control for extended shaping sessions.
- Comfortable design built to dampen vibration
- Integrated spring-loaded stand and dual-mount guide fence for consistent and precise cutting
- 6.5-amp motor provides sufficient power for shaping both hardwoods and softwoods.
- Some craftsmen may find the spring-loaded stand and dual-mount guide fence to be hindrances rather than a help if they are unused to these features
- Narrower planing width than comparable models
- Cutting depth, while adjustable, is still less than comparable models
4. Makita KP0810 7.5 Amp 3-1/4-Inch Planer
For craftsmen who don’t require the wider cutting surface, Makita makes the dynamic and powerful KP0810 7.5-amp 3 ¼-inch planer. Ideal for cabinetry work, this more diminutive cousin to the monster Makita 1806B.
Despite the narrower shoe and cutting width, the KP0810 actually has an impressive 5/32-inch maximum cutting depth. Furthermore, the cutting depth can be easily adjusted with just a quick twist of the front control knob, allowing you to adjust the depth between passes quickly and easily. Another especially useful feature is that chip ejection can be adjusted to either side, allowing even southpaws to set the planer up just the way they like it.
Best of all though, the comfortable vibration dampening grip has a two finger trigger and ergonomic design to make long cutting and shaping sessions comfortable. The on the switch can also be locked into place for jobs involving multiple passes. All in all, the KP0810 is a cabinet maker’s dream, and it can provide all the power and precision you need for your home or professional projects.
- Ideal width and cutting depth for cabinetry work
- Precision adjustable blade depth
- 7.5-amp motor provides more than enough power for soft or hardwood materials
- Narrower width makes this model less than ideal for heavy duty planer work
- Does not include a kickstand for easier locked-on, multi-pass planing
- Blade exchange process is more complex than similar models
5. DEWALT D26677K 3-1/4-Inch Portable
Sometimes we all need help to maintain consistency in our work, and the DEWALT D26677K 3 ¼-inch planer is here to do just that. In addition to offering an easily adjustable blade depth via the front control knob, this model also offers an adjustable guide fence to help you lock in your passes and keep everything smooth.
The 5.5-amp motor generates 34,000 cuts a minute; more than sufficient for most hard or softwood cutting tasks. Furthermore, the cutting depth can be extended to 1/16-inch for faster removal of unwanted stock. If you are looking for speed, precision, and consistency in a compact, comfortable package, the DEWALT D26677K is definitely the 3 1/4-inch portable hand planer for you.
- Adjustable guide fence helps you make repeated cuts consistently
- The 5.5-amp motor has all the power you need to shape most soft and hardwood materials
- Adjustable cutting depth provides superior precision
- This model is heavy at 10-lbs.
- Poly-V drive belt requires periodic replacement, unlike geared/direct-drive models
- Depth adjustment is shallower than many comparable models.
How To Choose The Electric Hand Planer That’s Right For You
Here are the most important features of an electric hand planer to consider when buying one for yourself:
If you routinely work with hardwoods in your crafting, you need something that has sufficient amperage to make consistent cuts without straining the tool or the motor. 5-amp and above motors are definitely preferred, but you can use a less powerful model if you typically only work with softer woods.
You need a wider width planer for large-scale projects and a narrower width for small-scale projects. Choose accordingly.
Adjustable cutting depth is necessary for precision woodworking. Make sure you have this important feature if your work requires a high degree of precision.
Working with hand-held power tools is tiring, so you may want to consider buying an electric planer with a built-in guide fence. This feature helps you keep your cutting consistent even when your hands may be a bit fatigued from multiple passes.
Find out what’s covered under warranty and what isn’t before you buy it. Sometimes the sole difference between the two models is that one offers better warranty coverage. Buy the one that gives you more.
From extensive reviews and testing, my first choice pick is the Makita KP0810 7.5 Amp 3-1/4-Inch Planer. It’s got all the power, precision, and versatility you need to make every shaping job for cabinetry or doorways fast and easy. Moreover, it’s both durable and comfortable to use. If you need a good electric planer, buy yourself the best value and get a Makita KP0810 7.5 Amp 3-1/4-Inch Planer.